Soft pretzels just like you can buy at ball games and the pretzel store at the mall. They are surprisingly easy to make…
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon yeast
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 cups warm water
1/2 cup baking soda
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water in a small bowl or cup. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Combine flour, powered sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add water with yeast and vegetable oil. Stir with a spoon and then use your hands to form the dough into a ball. Knead into a lightly oiled bowl, cover it, and store it in a warm place for about 45 minutes or until the dough doubles in size.
- When dough has risen, preheat oven to 425.
- Make a bath for the pretzels by dissolving the baking soda in warm water until mostly dissolved.
- Divide dough into 16 even portions. Roll each into a rope about 18 inches long. Make a loop with the dough, twisting ends 2X and fold the twisted ends over the bottom of the loop into a pretzel shape.
- Dip each pretzel into the bath and blot for a moment on paper towel. Arrange on baking sheet coated with non-stick spray. Sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Bake for 4 min, turn pan around and bake for 4 more minutes until pretzels are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool. For cinnamon sugar pretzels, brush with melted butter and dip in cinnamon sugar.
- Enjoy with mustard, cheese and pizza sauce, or just plain salted.