The classic Italian desert. Fantastic with an espresso!
1 lb. Mascarpone cheese
1 Tbsp sugar
zabaglione (see recipe below)
3/4 cup espresso
1/4 cup brandy
1 lb. lady fingers
1/2 oz. cocoa powder
- Whip the mascarpone cheese and sugar until light and airy. Add cream as needed and continue whipping until cheese mixture is nicely spreadable.
- Mix espresso and liquor, dip ladyfingers in mixture and place in shallow 2 quart casserole pan.
- Top with 1/2 of zabaglione.
- Spread 1/2 of the whipped mascarpone over ladyfingers.
- Repeat process with remaining ingredients.
- Place in refrigerator, preferably overnight.
- Prior to serving, sprinkle with cocoa powder.
5 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Marsala
- In a double boiler, whisk the egg yolks and the egg with the sugar until the eggs are thick and lemon colored.
- Whisk in the Marsala.
- Place over pot of simmering water.
- Whisk continually until mixture thickens.