Hearty soup that can make a great dinner with a loaf of good bread.
1 pound hot Italian lean sausage (turkey or chicken)
6 cups fat-free chicken broth
6 cups fat-free milk
4 tablespoons minced onion
2 tablespoons Bacon Pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste.
2 large russet (baking) potato
4 cups chopped kale
- Grill or saute the sausage until cooked then remove from pan.
- Combine the chicken broth, milk, onion, bacon pieces, salt, and pepper flakes in a 6 quart saucepan over medium/high heat.
- Quarter the potato lengthwise, then cut into 1/4-inch slices. Add to the saucepan. When mixture begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cut the sausage at an angle into 1/4-inch slices. Add the sausage to the saucepan. Simmer for 1 hour or until potato slices begin to soften.
- Add the kale to the soup and simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.