This is our family’s favorite pancake recipe. My dad made acorn pancakes once – this is similar, but without all of the work preparing the acorn meal! I sometimes replace 1/4 cup of the cornmeal with ground flax.
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 large eggs, separated
3 Tbsp melted butter
1 cup skim milk
2 large egg whites
- Combine flour, wheat flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a blender process milk, egg yolks, melted butter and brown rice just enough to break up the rice a bit. Pour into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Beat the 4 egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of batter into nonstick griddle. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, then flip and cook on the second side.
- Serve warm with maple syrup and/or fruit, if desired. Serves 4.