Spicy Indonesian beef in a soy/tomato sauce that is a family favorite. This recipe seems to work just fine if you slice the beef and place all ingredients in a crock pot and let it cook on low for the day.
1 lb Sirloin
3 Tbsp Ketjap Manis
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
5 large crushed red chilis
3 medium skinned tomatoes and coarsly chopped
1 medium chopped onion
3 cloves garlic
1″ ginger, finely chopped
peanut oil for frying
salt to taste
- Boil meat with ginger and lemon juice in sufficient water until meat is cooked. Take meat out of stock and cut into strips. keep stock
- Fry strips in hot oil until brown. Remove meat, keeping oil.
- Fry tomatoes, chilis, onion, and garlic in oil. When onions are soft, add meat and fry on high for a couple of minutes.
- Add Ketjap Manis, turn down heat and fry for a couple of minutes more.
- Add 1 1/2 cups stock, turn heat to low, ans simmer until mixture has thickened. Serve over rice.