These cookies are my favorite. The white pepper, not a normal ingredient in cookies, is the “secret” ingredient that gives them the perfect bite.
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 cup shortening
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/3 cup granulated sugar
- In a medium bowl, lightly whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and white pepper.
- Beat shortening with a mixer until creamy.
- With mixer on medium speed, beat in brown sugar until smooth.
- Beat in egg.
- Beat in molasses.
- Add half the flour mixture and beat on low speed until blended.
- Add remaining flour and beat until blended. Scrape down the dough, cover with a plastic wrap, and refridgerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2″ balls, roll in sugar, and place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake until tops are firm, about 10 minutes.